When was leodis built?
Opened in January 2008, it is a modern student accommodation building owned by the Unite company. The rooms are arranged in groups of 3 to 6 within each flat and all have en–suite facilities and three–quarter beds.
What is the weird shaped building in London?
The Gherkin, otherwise known as 30 St Mary Axe, is one of the capital’s most famous buildings. It’s a feature of the London skyline and home to offices, a restaurant and a cocktail bar.
When was Oxley residences built?
The property was altered in 1880, and was extended in 1930 with the addition of a three storey L-shaped block. Henry Oxley’s son James Walker Oxley gifted The Elms and its grounds to The University of Leeds in 1920, which was then adapted as a hall of residence for women, opening as Oxley Hall in 1921.
How tall is the Gherkin in feet?
590′30 St Mary Axe (The Gherkin) / Height
Is leodis social?
Leodis is social enough if you want it to be, knock on people’s doors and invite people to pre’s. Its noisy during freshers but during term most peoples pres finish before midnight and practically a silent at 10pm during the exam period.
What was the old name for Leeds?
Leeds is first mentioned in Anglo-Saxon times when it was called Loidis. By the time the settlement is mentioned in the Domesday (ie Doomsday) Book of 1086 it is spelt Ledes.
What is the cheese grater in London?
|122 Leadenhall Street|
|Alternative names||Leadenhall Building The Cheesegrater|
Why is it called St Mary AXE?
Its common name (also St Mary [or Marie] at the Axe) derives from the sign of an axe over the east end of the church. The church’s patrons were the Skinners’ Company. According to John Stow in A Survey of London (1603), the name derived from “the signe of an Axe, over against the East end thereof”.
What Colour is the Gherkin?
Blue Color Gherkin of London.
What did the Vikings call Leeds?
The next story in the history of Leeds dates back to the Vikings. When they arrived in the county of Yorkshire, they divided it into ‘ridings’. Leeds was part of what was known as the Skyrack wapentake.
Why was Leeds called leodis?
Loidis, from which Leeds derives its name, was anciently a forested area of the Celtic kingdom of Elmet. The settlement certainly existed at the time of the Norman conquest of England and in 1086 was a thriving manor under the overlordship of Ilbert de Lacy.
What is the history of Meanwood Towers?
In the middle of an estate of inter-war semi-detached houses behind Stonegate Road stands a Victorian Gothic house, Meanwood Towers. Designed by Edward Welby Pugin, and built in 1866–67. A private house, it was commissioned by Thomas Stuart Kennedy and was originally called Meanwood House.
What ward is Meanwood in?
The area sits in the Moortown ward of Leeds City Council and Leeds North East parliamentary constituency . The name Meanwood goes back to the 12th century, and is of Anglo-Saxon derivation: the Meene wude was the boundary wood of the Manor of Alreton, the woods to the east of Meanwood Beck.
What is the character of the Meanwood conservation area?
The general character of the Meanwood conservation area is of landscape and open parkland. The Meanwood Park forms the bulk of the conservation area. This parkland character composes a variety of elements, including open recreational ground, wooded walks, and forested former quarry areas.
What years are in the Meanwood village association publications?
• Bewell, P. (2004) Meanwood in Pictures—Volume 1 1852-1960s Meanwood Village Association Publications • Bewell, P. (2004) Meanwood in Pictures—Volume II 1960s M to 1999 Meanwood Village Association Publications • Bewell, P. (2004) Meanwood in Pictures—Volume III The Year 2000 Meanwood Village Association Publications