How do I find my engine diagnostic code?
- How to read OBD codes: Preparation.
- Step 1: Plug the OBD scanner into the OBD port.
- Step 2: Turn on the ignition.
- Step 3: Enter the Vehicle Identification Number.
- Step 4: Find OBD codes in the menu.
- Step 5: Interpret the first character of the OBD code.
- Step 6: Interpret the second character of the OBD code.
How do I check my engine codes without a code reader Chevy?
Step 1: Odometer Reset Press the odometer’s Trip and Reset buttons while turning the ignition key ON. After turning the key ON, release the odometer Reset and Trip buttons to check if the Diagnostic Trouble Code or DTC appears on the odometer display.
What are trouble code charts?
Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTCs) — Trouble codes are how OBDII identifies and communicates to technicians where and what on-board problems exist. The first number in the DTC indicates whether the code is an SAE generic code (applies to all OBDII systems) or is specific to the vehicle manufacturer.
What are engine fault codes?
Diagnostic Trouble Codes, also known as engine fault codes, are five-digit codes that identify a particular problem in the car. These codes are displayed on the scanning tool when it’s connected to the OBD system. The five-digit DTC includes one letter usually followed by four numbers (e.g. P1234).
Where can I read car codes for free?
If you have a problem with your car and you don’t know what it is, most auto part stores (such as AutoZone, Pep Boys and Advance Auto Parts) will provide a free diagnostic code reading. It is also called an OBD reading.
What are the codes for cars?
OBD II DTC Codes List
|P0200-P0299 — Fuel and Air Metering (Injector Circuit)||These codes are going to involve fuel injectors.|
|P0300-P0399 — Ignition System or Misfire||These codes will trigger if there are issues with the car’s ignition. For example, if there are spark plug issues.|
What is the most common engine code?
The most common diagnostic codes for check engine lights are:
- Codes: P0171 – P0175 → Deals with sensing your oxygen levels.
- Codes: P0300 – P0305 → Deal with engine misfires.
- Codes: P0411, P0440, P0442, P0446, P0455 → Deal with the evaporative system.
- Code: P0401→ Deal with exhaust gas recirculation.
What does diagnostic code P0420 mean?
the catalytic converter
Code P0420 indicates that the catalytic converter is not functioning efficiently, therefore increasing the output of harmful pollutants by the vehicle.
Can I rent a code reader from AutoZone?
We can help you get a reading yourself. Borrow an OBD reader to get a Check Engine Light reading with the AutoZone Free Fix Finder Service. It’s a simple task that takes less than two minutes.